do i need to taper off paxil (paroxetine)? or is it safe to just discontinue it? i take 20mg a day

Dr. Kitturah Schomberg-Klaiss
Better to taper: Ssris, & Paxil (paroxetine) in particular, are known for causing withdrawal if stopped abruptly. Better to taper under your dr's supervision.
Dr. Tracie DeJarnette-Holly
Specializes in Psychiatry
Taper off: You shouldn't discontinue Paxil (paroxetine) abruptly because you can experience a discontinuation syndrome which could include the following symptoms: headache, lethargy, GI upset, insomnia, nightmares, dizziness, vertigo, electric shock sensations and other parethesias, tremor, agitation, anxiety, irritability, hypomania, dysphoria, emotional lability and confusion. Talk to your physician about tapering.
Dr. Jordan Balter
Not unsafe: I agree with the other doctors about everything, however the discontinuation syndrome associated with stopping Paxil (paroxetine) is not unsafe. So technically speaking, it's safe to just stop. It's just not a really good idea. Also, you may have rebound symptoms of what you are taking it for, and that could be unsafe. You should talk to your doctor. You can probably taper from that dose over two weeks.
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali commented
"Not unsafe" is something I would worry about, since we do not know how long the patient has been on the medication. Like stated before, discuss with the prescribing Doc.
Nov 30, 2012
Dr. Jordan Balter
Provided original answer
"not unsafe" in the sense that it will not precipitate a medical emergency as fast tapering off a benzo can... it isn't a good choice of course. I would be more concerned about why the patient is taking paxil and what possibly rebound symptoms might occur. The length of time is actually not all that important, especially since most patients experience "SSRI poopout" after about two years. The dose matters more in terms of tapering and trying to prevent the discontinuation syndrome. Of course, under the supervision of a psychiatrist, the patient could be switched without a taper to a similar SSRI and probably avoid both the discontinuation syndrome and the potential for rebound symptoms.... But any of these options should be done with a psychiatrist. I meant to answer the part of the question about the medical safety of stopping Paxil. Tapering Paxil correctly is a different issue and you should do this with your psychiatrist...
Nov 30, 2012
Dr. Jordan Balter
Provided original answer
One caveat for the patient who is asking this question: if your psychiatrist has told you to immediately stop Paxil, you should follow his or her advice. There are some situations in which it is best to immediately stop an SSRI and start a different kind of medication. My answer about medical safety is, sure, but you will feel horrible. From 20 mg per day you can cut it in half for a week or two and then stop; that's really how to taper it. But you should do what your doctor is telling you. If they want you off the Paxil NOW, stop taking it NOW. If you want to just stop taking it, talk to your doctor about tapering it and replacing it if needed.
Nov 30, 2012
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Alianswered
Paxil (paroxetine): Withdrawal symptoms are common with paxil (paroxetine). Discuss with your prescribing doc. The plan for gradual taper if justified.