Chesapeake, VA

been on paxil (paroxetine) 16 years not working but can't get off it on 50 mg i'm depressed what can i add to it or take or cross taper for depression

Dr. Oleksandr Osipchuk
Specializes in Psychiatry
Paxil (paroxetine) is a problem : The common recommendation is to start Prozac that has a long half life : up to five days. From my experience: slow down rate of taper when you get under 20 mg. i would advice to see psychiatrist to find out appropriate tx of depression and receive personal guidance with Paxil (paroxetine) taper. It could be quite rocky road.
Dr. Matthew Smith
Many possibilites: I think you are saying that Paxil (paroxetine) has been partially, but insufficiently, helpful. It is a fairly common situation for one medicine to be insufficient. There is a long list of medicines that can be added or cross-tapered to. Speak to your prescriber about the best choice for you, as an individual.
Dr. Edward Kuhnley
Child Psychiatry 45 years experience
Cross tapering Paxil (paroxetine): With Prozac is a good choice but requires assessment, monitoring for return of symptoms for which paxil (paroxetine) was prescribed, and adjustments based on side effects experienced during the cross taper. I accepted your request earlier today and we'll be happy to discuss this with you further.