Canada

How long tell i can return to playing basketball after a 3rd metatarsal fracture cast comes off?

Dr. Doug Mason
Podiatry 33 years experience
Depends...: How long has it been on? What kind of basketball are you talking about? I would strongly suggest walking first for a few days to get your strength and coordination back and get out of the habit of limping. Then go to jogging for a few days....Then try sprinting. You need to be able to cut, pivot and run backwards in order to "play". There is nothing wrong with shooting around now.
Dr. Darrell Latva
Podiatry 42 years experience
MY TREATMENT: After I take the cast off, if there is no pain at the fracture and x-rays look ok, I'd put you in a tennis shoe and see you in 10-14 days. If doing ok, return to sports ok.

Last updated Jul 14, 2016