U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Cincinnati, OH
A 40-year-old female asked:

Chest pain, particularly around breastbone&under breasts.hurts to touch.pcp diagnosis costochondritis.i've had this 7x's in past year now. no reason.chronic?

1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Ravi Nerella
Hospital-based practice 26 years experience
Not necessarily: Costochronditis can occur intermittently. It is the inflammation of the joints where your ribs meet your breast bone. There are many causes. It is usually self limiting, but can recur. You can take OTC medications like Tylenol (acetaminophen) or Advil to relieve the pain if you need to.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Feb 20, 2023


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.