U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 19-year-old male asked:

I have a grade 3-5 ac joint separation, i'm 8 weeks post-injury. my clavicle pops out of place when i'm physicaly active, would you recommend surgery?

3 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Daniel Mass
Orthopedic Surgery 46 years experience
Only if painful: Most grade 3 ac separations become pain free after several months. At this point you would need a reconstruction which would not be any different if you wait. I would find a good shoulder surgeon to talk to.
Dr. Bernard Bach Jr
Orthopedic Surgery 42 years experience
Possibly.: It may be reasonable, at this point, to consider surgical repair, especially if the clavicle is hypermobile and giving you symptoms.
Dr. Joseph Wilson
Orthopedic Surgery 13 years experience
AC SEPARATION: Typically an AC JOINT separation can be treated conservatively when it is only a type 2 or 3. Treatment consists of therapy to regain motion after a short period in a sling. If pain persists or you have pain with activities then sometimes surgical intervention is warranted. Consult an Orthopaedic surgeon for a complete work up. Hope this information is helpful. Take care. Wilsonshoulder.com

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Jan 8, 2015


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.