Homestead, FL

what is chondromalacia medial femoral condyle and chondromalacia patella? my mri of the left knee result. is this serious? what is the treatment?

Dr. Joseph Girone
Thin cartilage: Chondromalacia is thinning or loss of cartilage from multiple causes, mostly trauma from direct injury or overuse. Rest &knee joint support, including upper leg muscle strengthening are the main rxs. Adjunctive relief may be possible from a 7 active ingredient glucosamine product and epa omega 3 fish oil at a dose of at least 600 mg, but a response should not exceed 4 weeks. Wt control is key!
Dr. Barry Marged
Difficult: Chondromalacia means damaged cartilage, usually from abnormal wear and tear.There is no full cure . Damaged skin leaves a scar and same on inside of body. Physical therapy and long term home therapy and avoiding aggravating activities are appropriate. Finding any aggravating or precipitating musculoskeletal imbalances is appropriate. Surgery is last choice when all fails and intractable pain.