A member asked:

Suspected autism iin grandson from border walking. do i or his mother make an appointment?

8 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. Glen Elliott answered

Specializes in Child Psychiatry

Mother must be there: Autism, per se, is not typically associated with delays in walking. But, delays of any sort merit attention. Perhaps you could start by offering to go with mother and child for a visit to the pediatrician to discuss developmental milestones and other concerns you have. But the mother is the guardian & will have to be responsible for the child if there are problems, hopefully with your support.

Answered 4/14/2016


Dr. Cindy Juster answered

Specializes in Pediatrics

His mother should.: If there are concerns regarding any developmental issue, the first stop is at his pediatrician's for a full exam and history (including development). If the pediatrician agrees, the next step is with either a pediatric neurologist or developmental-behavioral specialist for further evaluation and management.

Answered 12/9/2013



Related Questions

A member asked:

What causes children to walk on their tip-toes . Is that a sign of autism?

6 doctors weighed in across 4 answers

Online Primary Care Doctors Accepting New Patients

$44 video appointments available today with a membership as low as $15/month

Book a Video Appointment
Ask your question
Didn't find what you're looking for?

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more.

Ask your question

Meet your new favorite doctor