FL

After removing an air boot and not walking for 6 weeks, doctor told me to start walking. how long my foot will be swollen and hurting around my ankle?

Dr. Joe Lee
Dr. Joe Leeanswered
Specializes in Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine
Ankle issue: It may take weeks for the swelling and pain to subside. It would help to do some exercises such as toe raises. A physical therapist could teach you the exercises. Icing the ankle and elevating it a few times daily will help decrease the swelling and pain. If symptoms persist, then the ankle needs to be re-evaluated.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Vijay Karia
Foot swelling: You can use pain medications and ice to assist in swelling. As a rule of thumb, it can take two days for every one day your foot is immobilized or in a cast. (6 weeks in cast 12 weeks after cast to recover).
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Podiatry 30 years experience
Physical therapy may be a good option in assisting you to return to walking and reduce swelling and pain present.
Apr 29, 2014
Last updated Apr 6, 2016