Oxon Hill, MD

My mri on my knee says joint effusion and soft tissue swelling. is this connected to rheumatoid arthritis?

Dr. Ernst Garcon
Diagnostic Radiology 31 years experience
Most likely: If you have the disease, the joint effusion is most likely related to ra. It means synovitis. However, other causes of joint effusion such as trauma, lyme disease etc should be excluded by your doc.
Dr. Peter Nefcy
Radiology 40 years experience
Maybe: Recurrent joint effusions and swelling are typical symptoms of RA. But you do not have to have RA to get these symptoms. If you are worried that you may have RA, have your Doctor do some blood tests, which are more reliable indicators for RA.
Last updated Dec 15, 2017