Altmar, NY

should i be concerned that my 4 mo old (2 1/2 mo adjusted) is hitting all milestones but is not reaching for objects yet?

Dr. Clarene Cress
Specializes in Pediatrics
No: Reaching is a typical 3-4 month milestone. If your infant was a premie, be patient. Stimulate him, though, with objects that are brightly colored or make noise to perk his interest.
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics 50 years experience
Use corrected age : for attainment of milestones. Encourage prone position for play, putting a bright toy in front of baby, then to each side to promote getting head up 90 degrees at 2 months, head & chest up at 4 months. Physical & occupational therapists at your state's Early Intervention Program can give you tips during an assessment , http://www.health.ny.gov/community/infants_children/early_intervention/,
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Provided original answer
Anyone can call for an assessment. If all is well, your baby will not qualify for services, but you'll get some nice tips for promoting development. 2-month-olds get their hands in midline, 3-month-olds start to reach for & bat at toys, 4-month-olds reach for & attain objects.
Jun 14, 2014