how is statins for cholesterol?

Dr. William Jenkins
Specializes in Anesthesiology
Statins are good: but have unpleasant and sometimes dangerous side effects, better to try diet and exercise first

What are some of the side effects of statin use for cholesterol?

Dr. Irv Loh
Dr. Irv Lohanswered
Cardiology 49 years experience
Bit diverse: Statins have been getting a bad RAP re: adverse effects. Many symptoms are attributed to statins, but often are not truly related. Muscle aches of a certain type, abnormal liver function tests, vague abdominal discomfort, minor elevation of blood sugar levels, may be noted. Key things to note are that these symptoms & signs are actually uncommon & tend to be dose dependent. Reducing dose helps.

What side effects will I have when I start to use statins for lowering cholesterol?

Dr. Jeffry Lindenbaum
Statin side effects: Hopefully you will have none! most people do not. I find zocor (simvastatin) or Simvastatin to have the most. Leg cramps are common with this one along with muscle aches. Sometimes coq 10 helps these side effects. Grapefruit juice should be avoided since it can increase blood levels of some of the statins. You should really have a discussion with your doc since many of the statins are now generic and cheap.

Do you know of any cholesterol treatments as an alternative to prescription statins?

Dr. Calvin Weisberger
Cardiology 51 years experience
Statin: Mediterranean diet and lots of aerobic exercise. If you are doing the best you can with diet and exercise then if more lipid lowering is appropriate talk to your dr. Statins work more reliably than 'natural' steps.

How do you treat cholesterol problems if you can't take statins?

Dr. Sergio Schabelman
Cardiology 48 years experience
The old fashion way: Statins are relatively new in the history of hyperlipidemia. You need to go back to the basics with exercise and weight loss in the forefront (as low cholesterol diet has been declared less important). There are other few medicines that could also be used. Also: having side effects from stronger statins does not mean that a "weaker" one can't be tried.
San Jose, CA

If my cholesterol is 229, should I be on a statin

Dr. Donald Colantino
Maybe: We would have to know your ldl and hdl levels as well as any other risk factors in order to advise you.

Last updated May 14, 2014