I'm been taking flexeril (cyclobenzaprine hcl) for years now, and it just doesn't seem to work like it used to. are there any others' that would work better for my back?

4 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. Robert Killian answered

Specializes in General Practice

Find cause: I think it is remarkable that your physicians have allowed you to go for years treating a symptom without finding and treating the cause of the problem. Perhaps a second opinion with a back expert is warranted after years of ineffective treatment.

Answered 6/14/2018

4.3k views

Dr. Ki-Hon Lin answered

Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery

None: Muscle relaxants aren't meant to be taken for years (the Flexeril (cyclobenzaprine hcl) insert recommends only 2 - 3 weeks of use). I would argue that for the majority of patients, chronic medications are not a good treatment for chronic back pain. By far the best treatment is to go back to the basics: regular exercise, increased activity, good diet, weight loss, and smoking cessation.

Answered 11/28/2017

4.3k views