Pakistan

After 3 days of myringotomy & gromet insert my ear is still poping while breathing and my hearing is worse then before operation what's wrong is that?

Dr. Dale Tylor
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery - Pediatric 20 years experience
Plugged tube?: Usually the ear doesn't pop if there is a tube in place. This would indicate that the tube may be partially obstructed, and i would imagine that at 3 days it would be from some blood, though mucous can do it as well. I would use the drops you were given at surgery and be sure to pump the triangle of cartilage in front of the ear ("tragus") after the drops go in to try to clear the tube.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Bernstein Joel
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 61 years experience
See your ENT doctor: An incision into the ear drum (myringotomy) is almost always performed for fluid in the middle ear or more rarely for people who have difficulty with pressure equalization while descending during air travel. A grommet tube unfortunately will stay in the ear drum for a very long time (years). Therefore, see the doctor who inserted the tube as you may have a blocked tube or fluid remains in ear.
Last updated Sep 28, 2016