can you tell me some alternatives to dental anesthesia for asthmatics?

Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry 54 years experience
Not sure of your ?: Asthmatics can generally get local anesthesia. Are you referring to general anesthesia? Iv sedation? Since we can't possibly know your medical and dental history, nor examine you, you would have to discuss your concerns and ask specific questions to the dentist actually treating you as well as the physician treating you for your asthma. All this should be able to be worked out.
Dr. Edwin Perez
Anesthesiology 19 years experience
Procedure?: what procedure are you getting specifically? That would be important to know. For small procedures, personally I get them done with just local anesthesia. I also encourage most people to do the same.
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management 36 years experience
Local anesthesia: In almost all cases, local anesthesia is safe for patients with asthma. If general anesthesia is recommended, propofol and ketamine inhibit bronchoconstriction. Never hesitate to ask your surgeon or anesthesiologist questions before the procedure.
Dr. Dinh Bui
Dr. Dinh Buianswered
Dentistry 23 years experience
Local injection: Local injection is the best. Local interligamentary injection can be used to isolately numbing a single tooth. Infiltration of the upper arch is easy. Lower arch teeth may require interligamentary injection to get it numb... Make sure have the asthma medication (spray) when you go to the dentist.
Dr. Karen Sibert
Anesthesiology 39 years experience
Real question: is asthma under good control? If you're having frequent attacks or going to the ER often, then you should see your doctor before you have any kind of procedure. Asthma attacks can be life-threatening. When asthma is well-controlled, the risk of any type of anesthesia is about the same as it is for anyone else, and you can have the type of anesthesia that's best for your dental need.
Feb 4, 2014