can a dental hygienist perform anesthesia?

Dr. David Mcnay
Dentistry 26 years experience
State choice: States get to choose whether hygienists are allowed to inject anesthesia. All are allowed to place anesthesia in a topical fashion including blunt needles between the tooth and gum. If a hygienist is also a licensed dentist then she can place anesthesia. Check your local state board of dentistry for more specifics.
Dr. Richard Pollard
Anesthesiology 30 years experience
See below: You would have to check the specific statues regarding anesthesia or sedation in a dentists office for your state. They do vary. Under the supervision of a dentist it may be allowable. Also check with your dentist.
Dr. Brian Struyk
Anesthesiology 21 years experience
I think a better question is, Do you want a dental hygienist performing your anesthetic, or responsible for your monitoring while under anesthesia. I certainly would not.
Jul 18, 2013
Dr. Gregori Kurtzman
Dentistry 35 years experience
Depends: Depends on the state and its regulations some states allow hygienists to administer local anesthetic.