U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 66-year-old female asked:

how can i smooth my rough partial denture?

7 doctor answers16 doctors weighed in
Dr. Michael Green
Dentistry 9 years experience
Rough Partial: If you can't get to a dentist, use a file or sand paper to smooth the edge and then finer sandpaper to polish the roughness!
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry 54 years experience
Be aware that sandpaper won't smooth any metal component of partials, and having practiced dentistry for over 40 years, 99% of patients do more damage than good trying to repair, smooth, fix, etc. their own partials, bridges, or dentures. See my separate answer for advice. Are you willing to risk the consequences?
May 1, 2014
Dr. Douglas Tavenner, jr.
Cosmetic Dentistry 50 years experience
See Dentist: 95% of the time a patient tries to smooth or adjust their partial denture, they tend to make the problem worse. Let the dentist do a proper adjustment on your partial denture so that the proper areas are identified and appropriately taken care of.
Dr. Robert Brodsky
Dentistry 58 years experience
Anyway you want: If there is a rough spot on your partial denture, some kind of spinning rubber wheel will get rid of some of the problem. You have to find out if there is a break in the denture, a metal problem, a bite problem causing it, etc. See your dentist.
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry 54 years experience
Self adjustment?: If it's a newly inserted partial denture, the dentist who made you the partial will be glad to make whatever adjustments are necessary so you are comfortable. If this is a new issue, it would indicate something is wrong and requires professional judgement in order to best correct, repair, or resolve the issue. What you feel as "rough" might reflect a bigger problem. Don't try to fix it yourself!
Dr. Keith Hollander
Dentistry 36 years experience
Return to dentist : Have the dentist that made it polish the rough surfaces. Trying to do this your self could damage the denture and you may not be able to improve on the feel
Dr. Tamer Abdel-azim
Specializes in Prosthodontics
See your dentist: Your dentist has tools that can be used to make your partial denture smoothed and polished. It's best if you set up an appointment with your dental provider to take care of this.
Dr. John Thaler
Prosthodontics 41 years experience
See Dentist: See the Dentist so they can diagnose the problem and offer a solution. Acrylic may be adjusted with a fine emory board or wet/dry sandpaper if you are in a pinch until you can see the Dentist. Metal should be left alone, as more damage may be done. Good luck -- see your Dentist.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits
$15 per month

Similar questions

A 40-year-old member asked:

What are the metals and acrylics used in partial dentures?

3 doctor answers6 doctors weighed in
Dentistry 48 years experience
Inert metal, resin: Partial dentures are combination of nickel, cobalt molybdenum alloy for the metal and a polymer, monomer resin that is heat polymerized under pressure to make it rigid and dense. The teeth are also made of resin or ceramic. The materials are highly polished to make them impervious to stain and odors as well as smooth to the tongue. Over time, the polish erodes and materials deteriorate.
A 34-year-old member asked:

What are the different types of metals and acrylics used in partial dentures? Any mercury?

3 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Stevan Cordas
Internal Medicine 57 years experience
Dentures: Partial denture composition is complex but mercury is not used. I know of at least 8 types of partial. For a good overview go to http://www.Doctorspiller.Com/partial_dentures.Htm.
A 31-year-old member asked:

How long does it take to get used to wearing a partial denture?

6 doctor answers9 doctors weighed in
Dr. J. patrick Tokarz
Specializes in Family Medicine
Soon: Once the swelling is gone. About a week.See your personal provider for further evaluation.
A 35-year-old member asked:

If I am getting partial dentures, what should I expect?

5 doctor answers9 doctors weighed in
Dr. Joseph Worthington
Dentistry 38 years experience
Difficulty chewing.: Partials are no fun. Dental implants are the treatment of choice. It's well worth the investment.
A 37-year-old member asked:

I have a question about partial dentures? How do they fit?

4 doctor answers9 doctors weighed in
Dr. Anna Guarna
Dentistry 35 years experience
To remaining teeth: Removable partial dentures are clipped onto and around remaining teeth...If impressions are done well they should have a snug fit and stay in place when eating. The main issue is that they can be bulky and they need to be cleansed daily to avoid bacterial buildup. Also, they can temporarily affect your taste.

Related questions

A 45-year-old member asked:
4 doctor answers11 doctors weighed in
A 38-year-old member asked:
5 doctor answers10 doctors weighed in
A 34-year-old member asked:
2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
A 44-year-old member asked:
2 doctor answers11 doctors weighed in
A 26-year-old female asked:
2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits
$15 per month
Last updated Feb 6, 2021

People also asked

Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits
$15 per month


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.