China

I have all the symptoms for narcolepsy, but i'm still not sure if it's that or just lack of sleep. and should i tell my parents or just endure it?

Dr. Emma Rishton
Clinical Psychology 14 years experience
Tell your parents: Even if it isn't narcolepsy you need some help. It can be difficult to go to your parents even if you have a decent relationship, but sleeping difficulties of all kinds at your age really need to be taken seriously. Don't wait. There is treatment for sleep difficulties and disorders , sometimes it's just a matter of making some lifestyle changes. Good luck and best wishes to you.
Dr. Hanul Bhandari
Internal Medicine - Sleep Medicine 14 years experience
See below: If you are having excessive daytime sleepiness, hallucinations when waking up or falling asleep, cataplexy (episode of muscle weakness without loss of awareness that is usually triggered by emotions), and/or sleep paralysis or even other symptoms, it is advisable to let your parents know so that the issue can be understood, diagnosed, ; properly treated. Try to get a good night's rest everday.

Last updated Mar 18, 2017