NC

I have to take medication for hyperthyroidism. which is better to take, pt or methimazole?

Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Orthopedic Surgery 50 years experience
Let me advice you: Your doctor how diagnose this condition is the person to advice you, because he knows better and have the list of the other drugs you are using.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Susan Wingo
Endocrinology 34 years experience
Hyperthyroid meds: For most patients, the two medications are roughly equal, with maybe a slight edge for methimazole due to once daily dosing for many patients. In children, PTU (propylthiouracil) is avoided due to an increased risk for liver toxicity. In pregnant women, methimazole is preferred due to the rare occurrence of a birth defect involving the skin. Talk with your doctor to find out if which med is best for you.
Last updated Oct 11, 2014