Thousand Oaks, CA

I have a 2mm central disc protrusion at l5-s1. my pcp says this is too small to be causing my bilateral foot pain. what do you think? worth 2nd opin?

Dr. Frederick Nahm
Neurology 27 years experience
Disc protrusions: Foot pain can have many causes. Localizing the source of the pain is important to determine best treatment options. Disc and bone issues in the lumbar spine can cause pain and numbness and weakness in the feet. Disc protrusion can cause a mechanical problem as well as produce inflammation. Need to evaluate for other causes before you can attribute the foot pain to the back.
Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Orthopedic Surgery 49 years experience
It is possible: To have symptoms from this disc since it centrally located i would advice to check it out.
Dr. Robert Uyeda
General Surgery 45 years experience
2 mm is too: Small to cause bilateral foot pain. You and your doctor should look to other causes of these symptoms. Second opinions are useful in certain cases, but your doctor is correct in this case. In general, you should have more faith in your doctor. You should listen to him.
Dr. Creighton Wright
General Surgery 56 years experience
Always: 2 mm.Is quite small. Other swelling, etc may hit the nerves. But many causes of foot pain are independent of spinal issues.