NJ

1.7 cm thyroid "isoechoic solid nodule" mid-lobe. 2 fnas both came back non-diagnostic. told next step is my choice. should i have the lobe removed?

Dr. Joseph Mathews
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology 18 years experience
Depends: Thyroid nodules are very common. About 70% of the population has a nodule (many don't know it). About 5% of nodules are cancerous, which is why we care. Unless there were concerning characteristics on the ultrasound like microcalcifications, taller than wide or increased blood flow or you have a family history or radiation exposure, it may be ok to follow-up with annual ultrasounds.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Nagesh Ragavendra
53 years experience
Probably not...: The fact that 2 FNA's came back as non-diagnostic, and that it is isoechoic suggest that the nodule is most likely benign. I would suggest going to a different facility (with good reputation) and repeating the FNA. Alternatively, you can wait another 6 months or so and repeat the US.
Last updated Jan 28, 2023