U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 24-year-old male asked:

I get this bad head pressure top of head. doc said headache? it feels like my head will lock up & explode. not throbbing. just pressure. thoughts?

2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Robert Kent
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine 14 years experience
Are you having: Any other neurologic symptoms? It looks like your MRI was normal, correct? It sounds like a tension headache, which can feel like and absolute vice grip on your head. Is it more on one side? If it is, you are at the right age and male which fits cluster headaches as well, but would need much more history to suggest this diagnosis. Try neck exercises and stretching to see if it helps decrease pain.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Chirag Patel
Specializes in Neurology
See a neurologist: These symptoms may represent a headache or other neurological condition. You should keep a log of the location, timing, duration, and intensity of these episodes and take the log with you to a neurologist. https://www.aan.com/Guidelines/Home/ByTopic?topicId=16
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Sep 2, 2014


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.