what to do if i have low bmi but im healthy?

Dr. Thomas Knecht
A Verified Doctor answered
A US doctor answered Learn more
Let it be: Hi. BMI is a continuum, and if you're just below 18.5 and healthy, don't sweat it. Stay healthy!

How low could your BMI be before you stop missing periods?

BMI: Usually you need at least 17% body fat to have a period (for the ovariesto be able to secrete estrogen). But that doesn't mean it is exactly for the same for each person.

Can you please explain why a low BMI is dangerous if you aren't starving yourself?

Dr. David Sneid
Endocrinology 41 years experience
It's all in: The eye of the beholder. Many women can have anorexia or other eating disorders without "starving" themselves. Discuss it with your doctor.

Do health consequences result from my low bmi? If so, what happens?

Dr. David Sneid
Endocrinology 41 years experience
It depends upon: How low. Mildly low bmi's can be healthy if you have a healthy lifestyle. Very low bmi's, such as you see in people with eating disorders are potentially very harmful to the body. If you have questions, talk w/your doctor.
China
A female asked about a 1-year-old female:

What are the dangers of low BMI?

Dr. Do-eun Lee
Endocrinology 22 years experience
Bone health : If you are extremely thin, you may not ovulate and have enough estrogen. If it becomes chronic, you may not reach your peak bone mass which will lead to the risk of osteoporosis.

What is a dangerously low bmi? I'm 30 and have bmi of 16.

Dr. Michael Kleerekoper
A Verified Doctor answered
A US doctor answered Learn more
BMI: "Dangerously" low is a bit much but you must see your Gynecologist about your BMI and any other issues! Hope all goes well and I would appreciate it if you could tell me how things are going.

Last updated Nov 19, 2017