U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Lancaster, CA
A 48-year-old female asked:

I have mrsa in both ears, which i've had for a long time. how can i get rid of it? dr tried many meds already. and, is it dangerous or contagious?

1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Dr. David Astrachan
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 38 years experience
Bactroban (mupirocin) ointment: For symptomatic patients I have actually filled their ear canals with bactroban (mupirocin) ointment. After several days the ointment warms up and slowly comes out of the canal. This improves the canal skin and should cure the mrsa. You will need to find an ENT to help you with this.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Jun 26, 2018


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.