United Kingdom
A male asked:

My 12 year old son wants to get his ear pierced, he had a positive swab for mrsa when he was born although no clinical infection. ?

Similar risk to all: I would not assume that that swab in infancy has anything to do with whats on his body today. We all go through waves of skin germs that transiently occupy our body surface.MRSA was uncommon decades ago but dominates the scene today.As many as 70% of simple skin abscesses today are MRSA.Proper care at the time of and after the piercing should reduce risk.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Apr 17, 2016