what should i do about pain in jaw when opening mouth?

Dr. Tracy Benhamou
Dentistry 20 years experience
Relax with ice: Most jaw pain i see is related to tmj. I treat people with night guards to stop the causative agent from happening in the first place. However if you are in an acute pain stage, resting your jaw (no hard foods) and ice therapy, (10 mins on 10 off) with otc NSAID helps a majority of my patients. You did not mention if this has happened before or if specific triggers caused this pain. Tmj/tmd.
Dr. Louis Gallia
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 45 years experience
See Dentist: Could be a dental problem, or TMJ. See dentist first. If negative for tooth and is TMJ, see TMJ expert. Any dentist can be a TMJ expert with the proper training and experience. Most commonly, oral surgeons, prosthodontists, and orofacial pain specialists. Ask your MD, your dentist and your dental society for referrals.