U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan
A 23-year-old female asked:

What is the best treatment for a hypertensive pt. suffer from gingivitis?can we give him "metronidazole" or not ?

2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Martin Raff
Infectious Disease 57 years experience
Gingivitis: Often penicillin or one of its derivatives should be effective, but it might be helpful to see a dentist and have this professionally assessed.
Dr. William Jakavick
38 years experience
Gingivitis: Metronidazole or Flagyl is usually used for more involved periodontal issues, like ulcerative gingivits or periodontitis, gingivitis itselfis usually better handled with debridement, effective homecare and possibly the use of Chlorhexidine rinse as the antibacterial.
Last updated Jun 28, 2014


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.