I have a very mild cut on my hand but with dirt in it. what should i do, get a tetanus booster?

Dr. Noel Alonso
Clean it 1st!: First, clean the wound (mild soap and water) making sure you have removed all the dirt particles, apply a topical antibiotic agent (neosporin) and bandage. Check with your doctor as to when your last tetanus vaccine/booster was given. If it's been a while, your doctor may want you to get a booster and also put you on antibiotics if the wound is at significant risk of infection. Go see your doc!
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Depends: Small dirty cuts are openings in the skin that can allow the tetanus spores to grow in your tissue.It doesn't take many to start the process & lead to tetanus. If you've had a booster within 5 yrs, just clean the cut & watch for problems. If no booster, or you never completed the primary series, you should get one.Today they have the tdap which actually boosts you for tetanus, diphtheria & pertussis.
Last updated Aug 9, 2015