Australia

Blood mixed with water if got onto the eyes can transmit hiv?

Dr. Jon Ahrendsen
Seems very unlikely: If there is no sore on the eye or eyelid, i doubt blood diluted in water would have any concentration high enough for this to be a great risk. Keep in mind you probably can never say zero risk, but this one should be very very very unlikely.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Dareen Siri FAAAAI FACAAI FISAAI
Allergy and Immunology 22 years experience
There would have to be alot of blood and a high viral load for there to be any chance. So I agree that there is almost no chance in this case.
Jan 5, 2014
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology 53 years experience
Possibly: If the blood was contaminated with HIV then it can mix with the tears of the eye, and pass into the nose and into the GI tract. If there is a break in the surface anywhere in this passage, the virus could enter the body and cause infection. This would be a rare event but is theoretically possible.
Dr. Kristin Nesburn
Addiction Medicine 27 years experience
Very Unlikely: Theoretically, this can transmit HIV but the chance is extremey low. I would immediated irrigate the eye. And get tested just to be sure.
Last updated Jun 10, 2014