are pyschologists/therapists affected by suicide of clients that they work with or is this part of the job?

2 doctor answers
Dr. Patrick Tapia
12 years experience Psychiatry
Yes: I think any human being has the capacity to be affected by the suicide of someone they know, this is intrinsic to our species to regard the death of companions as traumatic and distressing. The relationship between a psychologist and patient or a therapist and patient makes it doubly concerning when a client completes suicide. They are trained to deal with it although they still feel emotions!
Answered on Dec 24, 2013
Dr. Andrew Berry
13 years experience Clinical Psychology
Absolutely: One cannot be unaffected by the death of a patient with whom one works. It is a risk we as practitioners have to be open to as, yes, potentially being part of the job.
Answered on Mar 22, 2015