I just had meniscus repair surgery. how long am waiting until i can walk safely on it?

Dr. Christopher Hajnik
Orthopedic Reconstructive Surgery 19 years experience
Depends: Follow your surgeon's instructions because you want to give your meniscus the best opportunity to heal. Usually, this is 4-6 wks of non-weight bearing, but it depends on the size of the repair and its location.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Gwo-Chin Lee
Orthopedic Surgery 24 years experience
It depends: Depending on the type of repair, your surgeon may protect your weightbearing and your activities to maximize healing. If part of the torn meniscus was removed, you would be allowed to walk as soon as you feel able. However, if the torn meniscus was repaired with sutures, then you might need to use crutches (partial weightbearing) for 4-6 weeks and gradually resume walking. Check with the doc.