Severe needle phobia. going in for a blood test.draw blood from my leg instead of arm? idk why but i associate needles with arms and i get more scared

Dr. Pamela Pappas
Needle phobia: It's possible to recover from needle phobia through cognitive behavioral therapy with a skilled psychologist. Drawing blood from your leg could be done, but may be more complicated for you. I suggest consulting a psychologist so you can overcome your fear rather than giving in to it.
Dr. Andrew Berry
Clinical Psychology 15 years experience
CBT: Seek a cognitive-behavioral therapist who specializes in phobias. One method they use is systematic desensitization which slowly and incrementally brings the person closer and closer to the thing they are afraid of in slow, graduated steps that help make the anxiety more tolerable.

Last updated Mar 19, 2015