I was shot 11 years ago and it left me with great pain. i'm taking gabapentin tab 800mg and it is not helping my pain at all. what else can i take?

Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management 36 years experience
ContinuousNeuropathy: The continuous neuropathic pain disorder is among the most difficult chronic pain syndromes to manage. Depending upon the site of damage, neuropathic pain syndromes are classified as central, peripheral or mixed. If this is the case combination of systemic and topical approaches is recommended. Cognitive behavioral therapy is important in your case. Neurontin 800 mg/day is a very low dose.
Dr. Donald Jacobson
A Verified Doctor commented
A US doctor answered Learn more
Unfortunately there are no psychiatrists and no psychologists listed in this gentleman's Village. There are also very few physicians.
Dec 13, 2013
Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Paul Grin commented
Pain Management 36 years experience
Provided original answer
Appreciate your comment. Not having access to care has a greater impact among those adults who need health care the most. Sad but true.
Dec 13, 2013
Dr. Donald Jacobson
Are you on Oxycodone: I recommend you see a pain management specialist. If there are none available and you're not on Oxycontin then i would recommend that you see a doctor for the use of Suboxone for chronic pain. Another option would be the addition of Cymbalta (duloxetine) into your treatment which could help lower the pain by approximately 30 to 50%. I see that you're from a very small village in thuringia. You may have to travel to a larger city for consultation. I see that you only have six or seven general practitioners.Ich wünsche ihnen schmerzfreie gesundheit und alles gute fürs neue jahr.