is it ok to use a scaler bought at drug store to clean stains off my front teeth? does it matter how often? doesn't damage teeth over time, does it?

2 doctor answers
Dr. Theodore Davantzis
39 years experience Dentistry
Stains: Scalers are designed to remove calculus deposits from root surfaces and interproximal areas between your teeth. Surface stains are usually removed with polishing paste. Overuse of any product can have side effects. Remember, use of this instrument is not a substitute for regular dental checkups and cleanings.
Answered on Dec 7, 2013
1
Dr. Arnold Malerman
52 years experience Orthodontics
Damage, Yes!: Your Dentist and Dental Hygienist are trained to evaluate the cause of discoloration and to provide safe effective care. You can do serious damage to tooth enamel by using wrong instruments. If you have a staining problem, sounds like you are overdue for a professional examination and cleaning. The Pros can show you what to do to minimize staining between appointments.
Answered on Dec 6, 2018