U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 30-year-old member asked:

went to the dentist and she didn't take x-rays, so could she have missed a cavity in between teeth?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Scott Bobbitt
Dentistry 32 years experience
Absolutely: In general, i inform my patients that my diagnosis of their oral condition is a roughly 40% clinical exam, 40% radiographic (x-ray) exam, 5% verbal and written history, 5% risk evaluation. Yep, you noticed! that's only 90%! that means i'll never know the other 10%! that's made up of what you ate, bit into, whatever for last year, last decade ; before. If risk is low, annual x-rays aren't needed.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Free
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits
$15 per month

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Free
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits
$15 per month
Last updated Dec 23, 2013

Disclaimer:

Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.