U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 30-year-old member asked:

I think i have stitches or food stuck in wisdom teeth hole..what do i do?

2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Kiyan Mehdizadeh
Dentistry 10 years experience
Irrigate: You need to irrigate the area with salt water. You can get plastic syringes from your surgeon or from the pharmacy. Mix 1/2 teaspoon of salt in a glass of water and use that to irrigate the area. Irrigation will keep the area clean and will soothe the socket.
Dr. Louis Gallia
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial 46 years experience
Rinse: Rinse with tap water or saline. If you can't rinse out impacted food, see the surgeon who can help you.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership

Similar questions

A 49-year-old member asked:

How do I take out this stitch in hole of wisdom teeth?

2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dentistry 41 years experience
Surgeon's job: The surgeon who placed the suture should have you in for a follow up.. Give the office a call.
A 48-year-old member asked:

I think I have food in my wisdom teeth stitches. How do I get it out?

2 doctor answers6 doctors weighed in
Dr. Chad Gretzula
Specializes in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Rinse your mouth out: If you have stiches and food is stuck you may need to go to your surgeon to have them get it out. If you rinse your mouth out after every meal then they will stay clean. You can ask your surgeon for a syringe to help rinse out the food around your stiches. Be careful and try not to tear them.
Last updated Jan 9, 2016


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.