U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 40-year-old female asked:

19 year old male has high blood pressure, has been feeling pain in left side of chest for 2 days, should he go to the doctor and get checked bp fine.

2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Douglas Green
A Verified Doctoranswered
25 years experience
Possibly….: It depends on the "history" and your risk factors. For instance if you smoke, and have a relative that had verified heart disease (coronary artery disease) at or about the same age you are. … etc. You should go to the er. If your only risk factor is hypertension…. You have higher risk but should be ok at your age.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. James Ferguson
Pediatrics 47 years experience
Worrisome info: For a kid with hypertension in this age group, identification of the cause and proper management are important. Pain in the left chest at this age can be from many unrelated sources (gi, chest wall, lung) but occasionally are heart related.A historical review, physical and some testing could begin the management process. Without data, you are traveling in an unknown zone.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Jun 23, 2018


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.