Sandy, OR

i have post concussion syndrome and my headache is keeping me awake. is there anything i can do to help me get to sleep?

Neurology 52 years experience
Yes: Best approach is to treat the headache, both preventatively and proactively, but sleep patterns often get disrupted following head injury. Prefer you seek doctor, and design a program. Some otc approaches might include melatonin, and the head pain might respond to aleve, (naproxen) but far safer to have your doc evaluate all of this.
Dr. Yash Khanna
Pain meds: As long as you have been evaluated by your doctor or a neurologist after you had concussion and cat scan etc, were normal you can take some pain med for pain like tylenol (acetaminophen) or Motrin etc.But if pain is severe and persistant, you have to make sure you follow up with the doctors.
Dr. David Braunreiter
Sports Medicine 29 years experience
Several things: Difficult to answer in brief. There are medications to reduce pain, and there are medications to help with sleep. It all depends on why you are still having headaches. Sometimes they come from neck muscle problems, sometimes from post concussion syndrome. To help with sleep, it might be a good idea to start with melatonin, a natural supplement that can help with sleep, at about 6 mg each pm.

Last updated Jan 23, 2021