does tums (calcium carbonate) help with upset stomach?

Dr. You Sung Sang
Gastroenterology 31 years experience
Yes: It neutralizes excess acid in your stomach. If you need it frequently, however, see your doctor.

How many times per day should I have my baby do "tummy time"?

Dr. Evelyn Hurvitz
Often: The more "tummy time" your baby gets, the rounder her head will be and the easier it will be for her to learn to roll, sit and crawl. Tummy time - as much as possible!

Advertisements for coral calcium supplements appear to be everywhere. The ads claim that this calcium not only helps bones but also cures many other medical conditions. Is coral calcium better than any other kind?

Dr. Morris Westfried
Dermatology 46 years experience
No: This is an ad that was recycled a few years ago. The claims are grossly false. I believe the company was fined by the ftc for false advertising but has not resurfaced. There are many sources of calcium that are combined with magnesium and other minerals at any drug or health food store that are safe and effective.

Everytime I go to a pool or beach I get a pain in my stomach and throat I go in at any distance in it. I am currently not on any medication.Ideas?

Dr. Charles Cattano
Gastroenterology 39 years experience
Situational symptoms: When your symptoms are so situational (distress occurs when you are in a particular place or circumstance but rarely occur other times) then stress must be entertained as a possibility (like fear of heights, ladders, flying, etc.) phobias are readily treatable, once you've ruled out medical problems that can prompt identical symptoms. See your doctor as to how to go about addressing this issue.

I have a very sharp pain in my stomach or intestines in mornings. It lasts about 15 min and it ends with a small burp from that area. Please help.?

Dr. Vance Harris
Have it checked out: Food will normally help buffer the acid that is in our stomach . At night we do not have anything to buffer the acid although we do not make as much acid while sleeping. Waking in the morning with nausea or discomfort may be a sign of gastritis or maybe even an ulcer. I would see your dr.There are other causes as well that should be evaluated.

Im 6 weeks pregnant and im having sharp pains in my stomach is that normal ?

Dr. Adam Newman
Can be: Always better to be safe than sorry, so get in with your obgyn and get checked. Vast likelihood is that you are fine. Good luck!