Can you take Paxil (paroxetine) and Zoloft together?

Dr. Jane Steiner
42 years experience in Psychiatry
Don't take together: You may not feel very good. You don't need to take both from the point of view of helping with depression, as they work in a very similar way on serotonin.Taking them together could cause unpleasant symptoms of jitteriness and anxiety called "serotonin syndrome".
Answered on Mar 28, 2019
2
2 comments
2
Dr. Donald Jacobson
39 years experience in Psychiatry
You may take them together if you are transitioning from 1 to the other. I have one severe OCD patient who has been on them successfully for years, but I agree, there is rare risk of serotonin syndrome so doing this should be rare and limited to transitional periods.
Oct 25, 2013
Dr. Jane Steiner
42 years experience in Psychiatry
Provided original answer
That's true that you may be on both when transitioning from one to the other. That is the best way to make a switch.
Oct 25, 2013