Afghanistan

are there any at home treatments for tmj disorder? also can impacted wisdom teeth cause tmj disorder?

Dr. Ron E. Bell
Cosmetic Dentistry 45 years experience
Yes and yes: There are many otc mouth guards which are effective for some people. Moist heat applied to the area can help. Nsaids can help. Impacted wisdom teeth can refer pain to the tmj.
Dr. Teresa Romero
Dentistry 36 years experience
TMJ disorders : Wisdom teeth can certainly affect the TMJ disorders but is not the only cause. Removing the wisdom teeth can help relieving the TMJ pain, and can also cause it to get worse or start the TMJ pain. As for home remedies... Place damp heated towels by the TMJ before bedtime and take a pain medication as an anti-inflamatory. A temporary fix, get an otc boil and bite mouthguard. Best bet is to see a dds.
Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dentistry 45 years experience
Yes to both but...: Any home treatments should not be performed unless you have been recommended to do so by a dentist and/or a tmj/tmd specialist. An evaluation as far as your symptoms including a check of the wisdom teeth are imperative.
Dr. Howard Schneider
Pediatric Dentistry 34 years experience
Home treatment: The muscles and ligaments that cause your jaw to move are not working smoothly. If you chew gum stop. Eat softer foods next 2-3 weeks. Apply moist heat to the joint area. Stress plays a big role in triggering TMJ problems. Find activities to help reduce your stress level. See your dentist for more detailed help.
Dr. Louis Gallia
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 45 years experience
Yes. No: Wisdom teeth and TMJ can have overlapping symptoms but not related. Self treat with soft diet, jaw exercises, massage, heat/cold, OTC pain meds.