MO

never had any tmj problems at all. 3 weeks after impacted wisdom teeth extraction, omfs believes i developed tmj after surgery. why? is this forever?

Dr. Kirk Yen
Dr. Kirk Yenanswered
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 38 years experience
TMJ causes: Tmj symptoms can have many causes. Trauma or wrong position of jaw joints due to poor bite are usually the cause. Trauma has more sudden onset while jaw position usually develops over time. It sounds like during the process of extraction, pressure on the TMJ might have been exerted. Problem of this nature is usually transient. Soft diet till problem goes away. If not, seek evaluation.
Dr. Sandra Eleczko
Dentistry 36 years experience
Common: Sometimes the jaw joint, tmj, is strained during a wisdom tooth extraction and it can take sometime to heal. Treat it using the same principles you use for a sprained ankle, with rest, and following the surgeons recommendation. This means soft diet. Anti inflammatory medications. Time. The pain will decrease as it heals. Talk to surgeon about bite guard if symptoms persist.
Dr. Thomas Mchugh
Specializes in Dentistry
TMJ dysfunction : Tmj dysfunction can be caused by trauma, like having a wisdom tooth removed. It does not have to last forever, but it depends on why it hurts. Usually, reversible joint pain lasts 6-8 weeks and then dissipates. You may want to discuss this with the oral surgeon that took the tooth out.
Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dentistry 45 years experience
See a specialist: Tmj/tmd exhibits a multitude of symptoms. You can go to websites and read up on some of the common symptoms, but a thorough evaluation by a specialist is highly recommended. Some symptoms, such as an infected tooth, cysts, and other causes may mimic "tmj." my website, www.Jbassmantmj.Com shows a symptom list, but you really should be examined to rule out if it is TMJ or not. Call the os.
Dr. Louis Gallia
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 45 years experience
Happens: Rarely, TMJ problems can develop after wisdom teeth extraction, since the mouth is stretched open during surgery. I usually settles down over time. Follow your surgeon's instructions.