Greece

I have spontaneous pneumothorax. i smoke e-cigarette while im trying to quit smoking. is it bad for my health?

Dr. Michael Sawyer
General Surgery 37 years experience
Possibly: Spontaneous pneumothorax in smokers is due to the chronic presence of inflammatory cells associated with smoking. These cells produce enzymes and other substances that weaken elastin and other lung proteins, resulting in areas prone to rupture. Not much is known yet about e-cigarettes. However, a small study out of greece showed similar inflammatory changes with e-cigarettes. Bottom line - quit.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Edgar Mendizabal
Better than cigs: E cigarettes are much safer because there is no tar, which is the carcinogen.
Dr. Nestor Del rosario
Addiction Medicine 35 years experience
Yes and no: Trying to wean from smoking with e-cigarette will not increase the incidence of pneumothorax. It is not the nicotine that's a problem in lungs, it is the tar and all the small particles. On the other hand the side effects of nicotine on blood vessels and bones and are still there. So i hope you will stop smoking completely soon.
Last updated Jun 14, 2018