what is a sleep disturbance? do you have to wake up or can you sleep through it?

3 doctor answers
Dr. Neil Liebowitz
38 years experience Psychiatry
Sleep disorder: Many sleep disorder, like sleep apnea and periodic limb movements the person may not be aware of. Likewise, waking up a few times at night briefly is not a sleep disorder. What counts is how restful your sleep is in the morning. If you sleep excessively and are still tired that might be a sleep disorder which only a sleep study can identify correctly.
Answered on May 7, 2016
3
Dr. Hesham Hassaballa
21 years experience Pulmonary Critical Care
Disrupted Sleep: A "sleep disturbance" is anything that disrupts the normal sleep pattern. So, it could be sleep apnea that keeps waking someone's brain up. Or, frequent urination; or insomnia from a number of reasons. Usually, you don't "sleep through" a sleep disturbance because it would not be a disturbance then.
Answered on Jan 20, 2017
11
Dr. Beverly Dexter
24 years experience Clinical Psychology
Sleep disturbance: If you are waking up multiple times per night please have an evaluation from a psychologist expert in sleep disorders. Waking up from dreams can definitely be resolved. In my book and class, No More Nightmares, I teach Planned Dream Intervention which teaches the sleeping brain that there is no such thing as a bad dream. You end up sleeping peacefully through any dreams.
Answered on Jul 12, 2015