Atlanta, GA
A 30-year-old female asked about a female:

When should babies stop being swaddled? my 2m baby startles too much and wakes up but the swaddle allows her to sleep through the night.

Dr. Lori Semel
Swaddling: When the baby can independently undo and release the swaddling. At this point, the blanket they are wrapped in becomes a hazard. I hope this helps.
As soon as possible: Swaddling works in a newborn who is so used to the confinement of the womb, that freedom of movement is frightening.However, as soon as they become used to free movement it should be stopped.We lose about 100 infants a year in the US to suffocation in bed linen/blankets/bumper accidents.You should wean the kid from swaddling as soon as possible

Last updated Jun 17, 2016