U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 38-year-old member asked:

thyroid nodules and cancer. what % of nodules are cancer?

4 doctor answers10 doctors weighed in
Dr. Liawaty Ho
Hematology and Oncology 23 years experience
Thyroid nodule & Ca: Thyroid cancers present in 4.0 to 6.5 percent of thyroid nodules.
Dr. Lester Thompson
Pathology 33 years experience
<10%: About 8-10% of patients have thyroid nodules. Most patients have multiple nodules which are not cancerous. About 70% of solitary (single) nodules are benign. Of the remaining 30% of solitary nodules, about 80% of papillary carcinoma. There are about 40, 000 people per year in the USA diagnosed with thyroid cancer.
Dr. Gurmukh Singh
Pathology 49 years experience
Varies: The likelihood of a thyroid nodule being cancer is about 10-20%. The incidence is higher with prior history of radiation (20-40%) and in patients with multiple endocrine neoplasia.
Dr. Brendan Stack jr., md, facs, face
Head and Neck Surgery 32 years experience
% cancer: 5 % of thyroid nodules are cancerous in general. There are other things to consider that would increase the risk profile. Age over 50, male gender, and rapid growth.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Free
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits
$15 per month

Similar questions

A 30-year-old member asked:

Does calcification in thyroid nodules mean that you have cancer?

8 doctor answers14 doctors weighed in
Dr. Susan Wingo
Endocrinology 33 years experience
It depends: It depends upon the pattern of the calcification. "eggshell" calcification, where there is a thin calcific rim around the the nodule is not associated with an increased risk of cancer, while "microcalcifications" inside the nodule are associated with a much higher risk of cancer, 50-100%, compared to 5% for nodules in general.
Dr. Farhad Sigari
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 20 years experience
This a very good explanation of the meaning of microcalcification in an ultrasound report.
Nov 12, 2012
Dr. Farhad Sigari
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 20 years experience
This a very good explanation of the meaning of microcalcification in an ultrasound report.
Nov 12, 2012
A 33-year-old member asked:

Do thyroid nodules grow into cancer?

3 doctor answers8 doctors weighed in
Dr. Carl Decker
Radiology 24 years experience
Sometimes yes.: Most thyroid nodules are benign (approximately 95%) and have no malignant potential. Some nodules are called adenomas and some of these secrete hormone resulting in hyperthyroidism. These would show up as "hot" on a thyroid scan. "hot" nodules are most always benign. "cold" nodules which do not take up radioactive iodine are the potentially cancerous nodules (15-20%). You may see an encrinologist.
A 38-year-old member asked:

Can medication shrink cancerous thyroid nodules?

1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Sameer Gupta
Medical Oncology 18 years experience
Yes: Some medications can do that but surgery is typically recommended first to take them out.
A 43-year-old member asked:

Are all types of thyroid nodules/lumps cancerous?

3 doctor answers6 doctors weighed in
Dr. Philip Kern
Endocrinology 43 years experience
Thyroid nodules: No, most thyroid nodules are not cancerous. A thyroid ultrasound is very sensitive at picking up tiny and often insignificant nodules. There are some features of thyroid nodules that make them more suspicious, such as large solitary "cold" ones, and other features. The best person to evaluate is an Endocrinologist who does his/her own U/S guided biopsies.
Lebanon, Missouri
A 39-year-old female asked:

2 solid hypoechoic thyroid nodules? Does that mean I Hve cancer?

1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Michael Gabor
Diagnostic Radiology 33 years experience
No.: Most thyroid nodules are benign. However, there are various imaging/clinical features that help determine the probability that a particular nodule might be malignant, and therefore require a biopsy for definitive diagnosis, so more information is needed to make an assessment. Talk to your doc about the results.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Free
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits
$15 per month
Last updated Oct 22, 2017
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits
$15 per month

Disclaimer:

Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.