Is it possible to continue playing rugby with an ACL tear?

It's Possible. After any surgery, it takes time to heal from it. Most people with ACL repair surgeries will take 3-4 months to feel like the knee feels stable and stronger as the graft sets in. Obviously following your doctor's orders are key and when rehab starts follow it to a T. You will do just fine. If you are concerned talk to your doctor. If surgery not planned consider Regenexx Stem Cell Therapies.
YES, beware. If you are "the chosen one" then it is possible to play. Acutely upon acl injury an orthopedic surgeon cannot identify the "chosen ones". The only way to find out is to allow a young patient to return to play knowingly with an acl tear and hoping that you are the "chosen one". Unfortunately, while finding out, additional catastrophic injury to the knee can occur & in not currently recommended.
Possible, no likely. Rugby is one of the sports that almost definitely requires an intact ACL due to the intense requirement for frequent changes of direction at top speed. Cutting and playing rugby without a functioning ACL puts the remainder of your knee at risk for further damage such as a meniscal or cartilage tear.
Instability. The ACL is essential for rotational and translational stability in cutting/pivoting sports like rugby. If the ACL is completely torn, playing rugby would be very difficult due to instability. Occasionally one can return to sport with a diligent and comprehensive rehab program and external bracing, but further injury such as a meniscus tear due to an instability episode is a distinct possibility.
Chosen one? Its known that a subset of the acl injury population can remain quite functional despite the tear. Thurman thomas running back of the buffalo bills in the nfl played without an acl. However, a doctor cannot determine if you are the "chosen one" by simply examining you after your injury. Therefore, in active people its appropriate to advise acl reconstruction or risk further injury to the knee.