How can my doctor diagnose an inguinal hernia?

Exam. Hernias usually cause a visible bulge in children. This bulge goes away when they lie down and may be more pronounced standing, straing, or laughing, coughing, etc. Physical exam is very sensitive. Imaging studies are usully reserved for those patients with less than classic symptoms.
Physical Exam. Inguinal or groin hernias are most commonly diagnosed on physical exam. If there is any doubt on the part of your physician then you should be referred to a general surgeon. A ct scan will also show the presence of the hernia, but this is usually not needed.
Physical exam. The best way to diagnose a groin or inguinal hernia is by physical exam. An MRI or ct scan is poor for diagnosing a hernia but can rule in or out other causes of groin pain such as hip problems, muscle or ligament tears, or other causes.