A 24-year-old female asked about a 23-year-old female:

Do any physiatrists offer talk therapy or are they just there for medication?

Dr. Douglas Chang
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation 22 years experience
See a psychologist: Most are there for exercise prescriptions and injections, some do medications and only a few do "talk therapy." they would probably refer to a psychologist with clinical training in talk therapy. Talk therapy requires advanced skills and training, above and beyond an md. Thus said, there are also psychiatrists, social workers, marriage and family counselors, priests/rabbis/preachers, etc.
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Chang -- thank you for sharing your views. Psychiatric training typically includes psychotherapy, psychiatric interviewing, psychopharmacology, and much more. Yes, this goes "above and beyond an MD" because residency training is designed to do this. I'm sure that your postgraduate training went "above and beyond" also, but in your own areas of expertise. Best wishes.
Sep 16, 2013
Dr. Pamela Pappas
And guess what -- I'm obviously too tired to be doing this tonight, because now I see that you were responding from the patient's word "physiatrists" and I was responding from an extrapolated one: "psychiatrists." I apologize for my previous comment. HealthTapoing for extended stretches can make one a little cross-eyed sometimes! :-)
Sep 16, 2013
Dr. Donald Jacobson
A Verified Doctor commented
A US doctor answered Learn more
Join the club:(
Sep 25, 2013
Dr. Carlos Satulovsky
If you mean: Do you mean psychiatrists? Physiatry is a different specialty. Psychiatrists are trained to do psychotherapy as well as medication management. Different modalities and practices exist, some of them chose to only dedicate to the medication part, and leave the formal psychotherapy to other mental health professionals. However, they always like to hear about your problems. Best luck.
Dr. Christine Norton
Yes and no: Psychiatrists do evaluations and some therapy as well as prescribe medications but most of the time if extensive psychotherapy or cognitive behavioral therapy or "talk therapy " is performed by a psychologist or social worker/therapist
Dr. Emma Rishton
Clinical Psychology 14 years experience
Talk therapy: Psychiatrists are the original talk therapists and some of the best talk therapists out there are psychiatrists. The field has changed a lot in the last 100 years, so if you want talk therapy from a psychiatrist, make sure that you are clear about it in the beginning. All licensed mental health care professionals are trained to refer you to the best place for you. Best wishes.
Excellent response by Dr. Rishton. In the day of managed care, fewer & fewer psychiatrists provide psychotherapy. However, there are still some of us around - ask.
Sep 16, 2013
Dr. Douglas Chang
psychiatrists are economically pressured out of talk therapy treatments, so the few that persist are a pretty dedicated to the art. Otherwise you can find counseling psychologists, who receive more training in talk therapy than the average psychiatrist.
Sep 17, 2013
Dr. Donald Jacobson
A Verified Doctor commented
A US doctor answered Learn more
I agree fully. I am glad I am in solo practice and can call these shots myself. Insurance companies have largely stopped hassling us about do therapy. Now they hassle us by having to preauthorize meds. Will this lead to a swing in the other direction?
Sep 25, 2013
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Psychiatrists : This question is interesting. It's phrased using the word "physiatrists" (physical & rehabilitation medicine) but the context refers to psychiatrists (specialists in mental health). I'll respond as if the latter is meant: yes! some psychiatrists still do psychotherapy, and enjoy it. Managed care has shifted this for many, but many psychiatrist-therapists still live & breathe. Thanks for asking.
Dr. Donald Jacobson
A Verified Doctor commented
A US doctor answered Learn more
I am sure that many of the psychiatrists onn this site do both. i do, and I love it. I sent years training to do therapy.
Sep 24, 2013