U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Mission, TX
A 36-year-old female asked:

My 21y/o brother has a small hole or perforation in the top of his palate don't know how long his had it or if causing pain but worried of what it be?

2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Harry Myers
Family Medicine 25 years experience
Cleft palate: Hi! it is likely that your brother has a cleft palate. We have all seen babies or pictures of people with cleft lip, this is a developmental defect that is not uncommon. A cleft palate is similar but not as involved as a cleft lip defect. Your brother has likely had this since birth, and can be examined by an ear, nose and throat specialist for a diagnosis. Good luck!
Dr. Oscar Novick
Pediatrics 59 years experience
Perforated palate: You brother could have been born with it or he could have traumatized himself. In addition he could be a Cocaine or heroine user. Auto immune diseses such as lupus or chrone disease may also cause problem .Infection may also be a cause. Seek help from your doctor.
Last updated Jun 24, 2014


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.