I just checked my health summary online and the doctor noted hyperglobulinemia and monoclonal gammopathies.i am also referred to a hematologist. what could be its meaning?

4 doctors weighed in across 3 answers
Dr. Hashmat Rajput answered

Specializes in Internal Medicine

Monoclonal spike: It means that your blood show high abnormal proteins. Monoclonal means one type of b cells are produced by your excessively on lab electrophoresis method. These b type may have different presentation like benign gammapathy, lymphoma, leukemia or plasma cell-multiple myeloma. Hematologist would do bone marrow & aspiration to find out, which one of the above mentioned cell you have. Thanks.

Answered 12/10/2013

4.9k views

Further eval: In short you have increased protein in your blood some of which is all the same (monoclonal). The doc is sending you for further eval to make sure there are no possible plasma cell dyscrasias such as myeloma or monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance present.

Answered 7/3/2017

4.9k views

MGUS: Monoclonal gammopathy is the presence of a protein in your blood all produced from the daughter cells of one type of cell (plasma cells, which are one type of white blood cell.). This protein may be of no significance. Your hematogist can do additional testing to see if you are at risk of this becoming a more serious problem.

Answered 7/3/2017

4.9k views